I’ve been on Twitter now for exactly a year yesterday and I want to write down some of the things I’ve learned up to now:
- Twitter allows people who are interested in what YOU have to say to simply follow you to keep current.
- Twitter search allows me to find people who are interested in the things that are important to ME.
- Twitter communication can be near real-time. You can carry a conversation with exchanges (tweets) in seconds or over a much longer time frame.
- Twitter, via the @ mentions, can allow anyone to communicate with anyone (although don’t expect a reply at times).
- Twitter can give you a near real-time pulse of what’s happening in the world (news) if you follow enough people.
- Twitter allows you to take in multiple interest feeds in one place, for me it’s fly fishing, native american issues, technology, storage, audio/video stuff, & what the Dominics of the world have to say.
- Twitter can lead to being more informed about your local community if you follow those local to you.
- Twitter can be very powerful when combined with a Blog.
- Twitter can bring new and insightful information to you that you normally would not have come across (again depending on who you follow & sifting for the nuggets).
- Twitter is only the base technology that enables information exploration with applications like TweetDeck.
- Twitter can be addicting, just keep in mind that it answers the question of what are people talking about NOW.
- Twitter can make the normally dull times interesting (allows communication vs listening to music on the bus).
- Twitter has people who truly want to help and those that want to sell you something.
- Twitter has software robots looking for keywords to send tweets to you (usually to sell you something).
- Twitter is a connection enabler.
- Each person has the potential to say something profound and enlighten me, twitter just let’s me tune into more people.
As I think of more or learn more from others, I’ll add to this list.
You can follow me on twitter, look for @dompruitt